- 6 x overnight stay with breakfast buffet in hotel and alpine breakfast at huts (3 x ***hotels, 3 x in huts – double rooms or communal bunks, sleeping bags mandatory, running water available, toilets partly biological)
- 1 x free entrance in public solar-swimming pool in Dorfgastein
- 1 x Hiking map + guide-book (1 x per room)
- 1 x Parking for 5 days at the starting point
- Daily service hotline from 08.00 – 18.00 (also on weekends)
1. day: Individual arrival in Dorfgastein.
Handing over of your travel documents at your accommodation.
Overnight stay in Dorfgastein.
2. day: Roundhike to the Steiner Hochalm
~ 12 km, 5,5 hrs, difference in altitude á 730 m / â 730 m
Directly from your hotel in Dorfgastein, you hike steadily uphill to the Steiner Hochalm with a wonderful panorama of the Gastein Valley. Here the alp invites you to take a long break. At the end of this circular hike you will reach Dorfgastein again.
Overnight stay in Dorfgastein.
3. day: Hike to Heinreichalm or continue to Präau Hochalm
~ 14,5 km, 8 hrs, difference in altitude á 1 470 m / â 630 m
Today's stage requires good physical condition, rewarded with a unique landscape. From Dorfgastein you hike first to the Amoser Hochalm and then on the Almenweg to the Heinreichalm, which scores particularly well with its excellent alpine snacks from our own farm. The location of the cabin is ideal for spotting wildlife on the opposite slopes.
~ 10 km, 4 hrs, difference in altitude á 850 m / â 20 m
Alternatively, you can also climb past the Kokaseralm on a more direct route to the Heinreichalm.
Overnight stay at the Heinreichalm or Präau Hochalm (+ approx. 2 km or 45 min)
4. day: Alpine hike to Biberalm – with one of the best vistas of the Gasteinertal valley.
Rest stop along the way at Präau Hochalm highly recommended.
~ 10 km, 5 hrs, difference in altitude á 802 m / â 756 m
Overnight stay at the Biberalm
5.day: Watch out for chamois and eagles along the way to the Hofgasteinerhaus. You will come across many alpine cabins offering refreshments as you close in on one of Gastein’s main skiing mountains, the Stubnerkogel. The Hofgasteinerhaus lies at the Schlossalmbahn cable car above Bad Hofgastein.
~ 8,5 km, 5 hrs, difference in altitude 787 m / 558 m
Overnight stay at the Hofgasteinerhaus.
6. day: After a hearty breakfast you take the trail from Hofgasteinerhaus to Hirschenhutte.
~ 10 km, 4 hrs, difference in altitude 371 m / 1 135 m
At Hirschenhutte buses leave regularly for Bad Hofgastein, the local landlord can also arrange taxi transfers on spot. From Bad Hofgastein take the connection back to Dorfgastein. Costs to be paid on spot, at approx. EUR 11,-- per person.
Overnight stay in Dorfgastein
7. day: Individual departure or additional nights
Rates for the arrangement per person in €:
01.07. – 18.09.22
***hotel/inn in double room (communal bunks in hut)
Supplement halfboard (3 course dinner at the inn, hearty mountain breakfast and dinner at the huts)
Supplement single room (1. and 6. night at hotel )
Day of arrival
Local tax is extra to pay on spot in each accommodation (from € 1,-- to € 3,-- per person/per night)
Notes on staying at an Alpine lodge:
- You must bring your own sleeping bag and pillow case - a hut sleeping bag does not provide sufficient warmth. Blankets and pillowcases are NOT available in the cabins due to Covid19;
- Bring your own mouth/nose mask
- On most huts, card payment is not possible. Take enough cash with you for food and drinks.
- Due to their location, not all huts can offer running water, hot water or showers. In some cases there is also no flushing system in the toilets.
- Dogs on request; not allowed in the sleeping areas. Attended stay in the winter room possible, partly dog kennels available, extra costs to be paid on spot. In Austria there is a general linen and muzzle requirement!
Information for arrivals by car:
Free parking at your accommodation is available for the duration of the whole itinerary.
We recommend travel cancellation insurance.
The standard terms and conditions of the Salzkammergut Touristik GmbH apply in the current version.
Due to environmental reasons we recommend to arrive and depart by public transportation.